If you’ve ever wondered about the benefits of cosmetic dentistry, you are not alone. This industry is one of the fastest growing areas of dental care as people invest in a form of oral healthcare that largely benefits their outward appearance and their general health. With benefits like increased confidence and better first impressions, individuals receiving cosmetic treatments are finding a lot to smile about.
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is designed to change or improve the look of a patient’s teeth. It is most often recommended by dentists to patients that are unhappy with the appearance of stained, discolored, crooked, cracked, or missing teeth. Although in some cases these imperfections may just be an aesthetic issue, there are times in which they can overlap to dental health issues.
Some of the cosmetic dentistry procedures most commonly sought after today includes teeth whitening, veneers, dentures, dental implants, and even night guards.
What Are the Benefits of Cosmetic Dentistry?
While many general dentistry procedures recommended by a dentist can have a sense of urgency to them to correct a specific problem that could potentially lead to a bigger and more complex issue, cosmetic dentistry is often considered to be elective.
Those considering the benefits of cosmetic dentistry should note the following advantages of utilizing these treatments as they may:
- Brighten teeth. Over time, the consumption of certain drinks and foods along with activities such as smoking can dull or stain a person’s teeth. For some individuals, the discoloration becomes so noticeable that they are hesitant to talk or smile in a way that reveals their teeth. Fortunately, there are excellent cosmetic dentistry procedures today that are designed to whiten and brighten a person’s teeth. Professional whitening treatments may take several visits to achieve the desired shade. Other patients may instead opt for veneers, which work almost immediately by covering up a stubborn stain or discoloration rather than trying to remove it.
- Improve the shape and condition of teeth. It is not uncommon for a person to have teeth that are not uniform in appearance. Some teeth may be shorter than the rest or even pointy in shape. Cosmetic dentistry allows professionals to help restore a continuity in teeth’s appearance in a number of ways, including using crowns or veneers, reshaping a tooth, or paring back the gums in certain places.
- Lessen some tooth pain. Teeth that are misaligned and pushing against each other can cause a person to experience muscle tension in the jaw and/or toothaches. Efforts to better align the teeth may help minimize the pain associated with poor alignment.
- Restore missing teeth. While missing teeth can be a cosmetic issue that makes some people uncomfortable when smiling, it can also be a challenge for daily activities such as speaking and chewing. A dentist is able to use dental implants and/or bridges to help restore a patient’s missing teeth which provides aesthetic and health benefits. This restoration can also enhance an individual’s diet. A person with no more missing teeth may now be able to enjoy biting into an apple, which is something they might not have been able to do before.
- Increase self-confidence. A boost in self-confidence can change some people’s outlook and appearance significantly. Most patients who receive cosmetic dentistry procedures report feeling more confident in their appearance, which enables them to focus more on the moments at hand than worrying about what others may be thinking about their smile.
- Enhance a smile. Whether it is because a person’s teeth have become discolored and stained or are simply uneven or missing, it can keep some people from openly sharing their smile with others. With the help of cosmetic dentistry, these individuals can feel more equipped to share a toothy smile with the world.
- Provide durable results. While there are some over the counter products marketed to assist with teeth whitening, they typically lack the customization and effectiveness of professional treatments. Cosmetic dentistry procedures performed by a licensed and reputable dentist should potentially be stronger and last longer than options found at the local grocery or drug store.
- Improve dental health. Although some treatments are considered cosmetic in nature, they can still have a positive impact on your overall oral health. For example, teeth that are uneven or have odd gapping can make it difficult for regular brushing to get to into tight and tricky spaces where plaque tends to thrive. Unattended, this can lead to decay. However, by utilizing cosmetic treatments to create a more uniform appearance in the teeth, it may reduce the accumulation of plaque and decay in those areas.
- Protect against some future dental problems. Some cosmetic dentistry procedures are designed to protect against future dental problems such as tooth shifting, bone loss, and gum issues. Although implants do frequently help make an individual more confident in their appearance, the implants also have value in protecting a person’s dental health.
The key to a successful cosmetic dentistry procedure is finding a licensed and experienced Houston provider who has years of practice with these treatments. Talk to your Houston dentist today to learn more about the benefits of cosmetic dentistry and find out what procedures might be right for you.