So, you’ve just moved to Houston and you’re looking for a dentist. Welcome to the biggest city in Texas, home to more than 2,000 general dentists. That’s a big number if you’re looking for dental care, but finding a reputable provider that will meet your dental health needs isn’t difficult if you know what to look for.
That’s what we’ll cover in this article, along with a few tips to help track down the perfect dental office and staff for your family.
First, Don’t Wait Until You Have A Dental Emergency To Make An Appointment
If you’re here, you’re probably already looking for dental services. Now that you’ve started, don’t stop. A lot of people make the mistake of waiting until they have a dental emergency before seeking treatment. There are a couple reasons why you should avoid that situation. For example:
- If you wait too long, the cost of treatment may go up – Your oral health requires constant maintenance, and includes seeing your dentist regularly. Lingering cavities, tooth decay and periodontitis first emerge as issues that can be resolved inexpensively. However, over time, an issue can worsen and may be more expensive to correct.
- And if you wait too long, your teeth will be at risk – You could also sustain permanent damage to your teeth or lose teeth outright if you let dental issues worsen without proper attention. Address those issues early on and you can maintain a healthy smile for as long as possible.
Three Things To Look For In The Ideal Houston Dentist
Regular dental appointments are essential for preserving your smile, and you’ll want a dentist you can trust to deliver an excellent dental experience. To find a trustworthy practitioner, here are a few things to consider during your search:
- Strong credentials and education – At a minimum, the dentist you choose should be board-certified and educated through a reputable dental school. You can find these details through some online dental directories, like Healthgrades and Zocdoc. Further, these sites also have information about any malpractice claims or disciplinary actions, both of which are also worth considering.
- A history of positive customer reviews – There are some things about every dentist that can only be captured by customer experience. Do they communicate well? Are they professional? What do wait times look like? Is the office staff well-trained? These are important details that you’ll likely see explained in customer reviews. If those reviews are largely positive, that’s obviously a good sign for the practice.
- The insurance plans they accept – One of the first things to verify is whether the practice will accept your insurance plan. Some procedures can be expensive without insurance, and if you expect significant work to your teeth, then find a practice that will work with your insurance provider.
The Houston Area Is Huge, So Choose A Dental Provider That You Can Get To Easily
In Houston, you’ll also want to consider how far away a particular practice is from your location. Houston is one of the largest cities in the U.S. and during peak traffic times, you may need to reserve an hour (or more) to get from one side of the city to the other.
Fortunately, no matter where you are in Houston, there are dentists in your area. For instance, Meyerland Family Dentistry provides service to patients in the Meyerland area and beyond. From our location, we’re easily accessible to families inside and outside the Inner Loop, including those living in West University, The Heights, The Galleria area and River Oaks.
When considering various Houston dentists, picking one that’s centrally located will help ensure you get to your appointment on time.
Don’t Be Afraid To Ask Your New Neighbors And Coworkers For A Recommendation
It doesn’t take long or a lot of research to find the right dental clinic. Ideally, you could ask friends or family that are from the Houston area. If you don’t have any, there are other people you could ask, such as coworkers or neighbors you get to know a bit.
If you have children in school, it’s a good idea to ask the parents of other classmates during school functions. Finding a dentist that’s good with children is something parents want, and many parents are willing to share the good news when they find such a dentist.
Online Directories Can Provide All The Information You’ll Need On Houston Dentists
Of course, there’s always the internet to turn to if you can’t get a recommendation from someone offline. There are numerous online directories to pick from, and they list hundreds upon hundreds of Houston dentists.
Some of these directories are specific to dentists, but others (like Yelp) also provide helpful information like customer reviews to consider.
New To Houston? The Meyerland Family Dentistry Team Is Taking New Patients
If you’re just moving to Houston and looking for a family dentist you can trust, the Meyerland Family Dentistry team is ready for your visit. Whether you need to schedule regular cleanings for your little ones or need additional dental treatments like fillings or a root canal, our staff is ready to welcome you. We are a board-certified practice specialized in several forms of dentistry, including cosmetic dentistry, so we’re equipped to provide high quality care to Houston patients of all ages. Don’t put off your dental health any longer – give us a call and we’ll make sure your first dentist appointment in Houston is a positive one.